What types of coverage does condo insurance provide?

Condos can be a great way to break into the housing market. They are also ideal for those who are too busy or not interested in doing a lot of exterior home and garden maintenance. They are similar to homes when insuring them, but the coverage is somewhat different. At Rickey McGill Insurance Agency in Arlington, TX, we know the questions to ask to ensure you have the right coverage. 


Property coverage for a condo is slightly different from a freestanding home. The condo association master policy covers the exterior of the building. How far into the unit it goes depends on the policy. It can be walled in or all in. It is essential for you to know when choosing the amount of coverage that you need. 


Content coverage, like home insurance, comes in two types. You can choose the current value or replacement cost. Suppose you have expensive items of jewelry, antiques, or electronics. In that case, it is vital to have appraisals and endorsements to cover the amount above the coverage allowed by the policy. 


Liability is also shared with the condo association. Your responsibility will be anything that involves the interior of the unit and family members. The condo association covers the unit’s exterior, the public, and shared areas. 

Loss of use

If a covered hazard damages your condo and becomes uninhabitable, you will need to find another place to live while it is being repaired. Loss of use insurance will pay for your accommodations and may even pay for meals. 

At Rickey McGill Insurance Agency in Arlington, TX, our team is ready to answer any questions you may have about condo insurance. Give our office a call today, or stop by.