What Makes my Vehicle “Recreational”?

Recreational insurance is unique. Automobile insurance is to insure cars and trucks. Boat insurance is for boats. RV insurance is for motor homes classified as recreational vehicles. Keep in mind that this is not the same as recreational insurance, which covers injury or damage caused by vehicles manufactured to have a good time.

Recreational Vehicle Vs. Vehicle of Recreation

For the most part, a vehicle is something someone uses to get from Point A to Point B. A recreational vehicle, commonly known as an RV, is both a means of transportation and a place of residence. A vehicle of recreation is a vehicle that is largely ridden just for the experience of riding. A motorcycle could fall under this, but as many people have a bike as their major or sole means of transportation, this is largely a form of insurance on its own. A boat is often taken out into deep waters and may be used for fishing purposes, so it falls under its own form of insurance. That leaves pleasure crafts such as personal watercraft (PWC) or all-terrain vehicles (ATV).  


PWCs and ATVs are both objects of transportation that generally can only carry the driver and one or maybe two passengers at a time and are driven for fun more than as a means to get to a certain destination. The PWC (sometimes referred to by the generic trademark Jet Ski or its major competitor Sea Doo) is operated on water, usually with the shore within sight. Many states require the PWC to be 100 to 200 feet from shore to build up enough speed to cause a wake. An ATV is for land. As the name suggests, ATVs can handle all terrain, whether rocky, sandy, muddy, or rooty. Insuring an ATV in Texas is not required, but it may be a good idea anyway. 

Rickey McGill Insurance Agency Serving Arlington, TX

If you are in the Arlington, TX, area and need recreational insurance, please get in touch with Rickey McGill Insurance Agency. We’re happy to help you.